Saturday, September 10, 2011

$12.99 EVERY DAY!

I hope that everyone had a great week!

Babygirl was stoked to be back to school with all of her friends. Thankfully I have a child that loves to wake up to get ready for school so our morning's (for now) are not a battle. I am sure that eventually when she becomes a teenager, mornings will become a nightmare so I will gladly take each easy morning that we have until that day.

Shopping for back to school clothes this year was interesting. Tiring. And funny. Babygirl finally broke out of her "pretty is for girls" stage and decided that it was time to give pantihose and dresses a run. Year after year I have begged and pleaded that she let me buy her dresses and skirts. It was always "No, Mom. I don't like dresses, I'm a cowgirl". Although I have always wanted her to dress "pretty" but allowed her to define her own style personality. According to Babygirl, cowgirls don't wear dresses and she was happy wearing her jeans and yes, her cowgirl boots to school. Much easier to gallop around her school yard on her imaginary pinto horse during recess.

I grew up in the country on a farm with horses and spent 16 years of my life traveling to rodeo's but I never cared to compete in them. I was happy riding and caring for my horses but as much as my Dad wanted me to, I never deemed myself a cowgirl. My daughter on the other hand is the complete opposite of me. If you ask her what she wants to be when she grows up she will immediately answer "a cowgirl". I don't think that a single week has passed in her life that she hasn't (at least once) asked if we can move into the country on a farm and often states that we can keep a pony in our backyard if we aren't going to move to the country any time soon. She's such a country girl and with her cowgirl dream comes a lack of dresses and drawers full of jeans.

For some reason this summer Babygirl became fashion savvy and decided that it was time for her to start dressing "pretty". I didn't argue. While shopping we spent countless hours holding each outfit up so she could analyze it in a mirror in order to make her final decision. I was a very proud Mama when we left each store with cute outfits (that included sparkles and sequence [but absolutely, 100% NO FLOWERS PERMITTED]) in hand! Most Mom's may think that this dress thing sounds crazy but when you have a daughter that has refused to wear "pretty" clothes for her entire 7 years of existence, you would have jumped all over the "pretty" shopping spree too.

With all of the galloping that Babygirl does, she manages to go through a ton of shoes. I'm talking a TON of shoes. Her last pair of cowgirl boots lasted her entire grade 1 year (she sadly grew out of them this summer so now we are on the hunt for new cowgirl boots) but she tore every pair of sneakers that she had apart. I guess that cowgirl boots are made to withstand the galloping; sneak's - not so much. Because she gallops through all of her shoes and so many at a time I try to buy them on sale. I refuse to spend over $30 on a pair of shoes because it is literally money wasted in our house.

Payless always has super cheap shoes which are easy on the wallet. While back-to-school shopping this year we purchased three pairs of shoes from payless. On Monday morning while Babygirl and I were putting her indoor (black Mary Jane's - SO exciting to me because that means she is dressing like a girlie girl) shoes into her backpack, I took the shoes out of the box and placed it on our coffee table.

As I am trying to fit her Mary Janes (!!!!) into the bottom of her backpack (without scuffing them) she yells out in horror "OH NO, MOM!!!!! WHY DID YOU BUY THOSE SHOES!!!!! THIS ISN'T GOOD!!!!!"

I'm quickly pull the shoes out of the bag! "What?!" I said, "What's wrong with them!?!?" I'm panicking now, thinking the worst, she's onto my pretty girl tactics! She's never going to wear the cutesie little shoes!

Frantically, Babygirl grabs the shoe box that I placed on the coffee table and points to the sign that says "Every Day - $12.99". "Mom, LOOK!!!!! WHY DID YOU BUY THESE?!?!"

I'm quickly trying to recover. "Because they are cute and they match your pretty dresses and they were cheap! What is WRONG?" I want to cry...

"Mom, they aren't CHEAP!" she declares, "You are going to have to go back to the store and pay $12.99 for them EVERY DAY!"

...LOL...

Fortunately it was just a price concern not a style concern (phewf!). My Babygirl may be a cowgirl. But at least she is a frugal little cowgirl.

xTx

1 comment: