Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunday Night Nail Art - Rio


Babygirl loves having her nails painted so every Sunday night (sometimes we miss a Sunday) I paint her nails for her so that they are done for the school week ahead.

Rio has been a huge hit in our house - even though I am terrified of birds :). We saw it in 3D (well, I didn't see it in 3D because I can't see 3D) at the theater and we purchased it on DVD. Babygirl loves it so much that this week she wanted Rio nails.

We started off with a semi-clear base because Babygirl requested something "sandy coloured" and let it dry. Once dry, we began painting Blu in a rough outline on Babygirl's thumb. Poor Blu looked more like a blob of nothing at first.

Once Blu's blue blob was complete we painted on the beak with black polish. I don't use any fancy tools for this. I have one fine nail art paint brush that I use to paint everything on that I just clean with nail polish remover as I go. You could use a fine art brush if you'd like.

Once the beak was done I went back in with black and defined Blu's eye and feathers. Don't forget to paint on the three little feathers on top of his head :) You could also use white to add more definition to his eye but I didn't, I just used a baby blue.

Once Blu was all done we started painting the word "RIO" on Babygirls other fingers. The blue "R" went on the ring finger of her right hand. When painting the "R" be sure not to forget the three little feathers that poke out of the top of it (just like on Blu's head).

Then came the yellow "i" on the middle finger of her right hand.

And then the orange "o" on her pointer finger. Once the letters were done I began to define them in black, again, just using the nail art brush that I have.

Below is the finished product on Babygirl's right hand. Because her pinky finger was left unpainted she requested that I paint it hot pink.

Then we began painting Jewel in on her left thumb. Start with a backwards "C" and build the neck down from the bottom of it. Go in with black and paint the beak, also similar to a backwards "C".

Define Jewel's eye and paint a hot pink flower onto the side of her head. As an added touch you could even add a flower decal rather than painting a flower on.

Once Jewel was complete, we finished up by painting the other four fingers on her right hand in hot pink as well. Let dry and paint on a top coat. Sadly when I was painting the top coat on I accidentally leaned on the "R" and ruined it so I had to re-paint it lol.


It's always a huge ordeal choosing a nail design but we definately have fun once we begin the painting. Normally we watch a re-run (or two depending on how long the design takes) of iCarly or Tawny Town, sip juice and paint away. It's a fun way to end our weekends.

If you have any nail ideas please share! I would love to hear them!

I hope that you all have a great week :)

xTx

Rio movie poster courtesy of www.disney.com
All nail art photo's Copyright © Tawny Gelinas, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment