Saturday, October 1, 2011

Five ★ Sunday (On a Saturday Night) - Candles

Every year, come September and October's crisp Autumn weather I always make sure that our house is full of the things that make my family and I feel warm and cozy. Like my Mom, I have a serious obsession with candles all year long but I especially love to burn them through the Autumn and Winter months when the smells of freshly cut grass, flower gardens, BBQ's and pool water are no longer. When I was younger we used to attend many functions at the CNE in Toronto and I would always look for a booth selling Kokimo Candles so that I could buy a Candy Candle for my Mom. Back then my favourite Candy scent was grape but now I tend to stick with scents that are warm and that remind me of my childhood. If my Mom wasn't burning candles she would burn a homemade contraption on our stove or over tea light burners so that our home always smelled like cinnamon. Scents with cinnamon are always very comforting to me because of this.

One of my favourite candles to burn in the Autumn is called "Leaves" by Slatkin & Co. which can be purchased at Bath & Body Works.  "Leaves" to me is the true scent of Autumn with high notes of golden nectar, mandarin and red delicious apples paired with undertones of cinnamon, mulled cider spices and fresh red berries. Not only is it a beautiful scent but one 3 wick candle smells my entire house for hours at a time, has a life span of 40-65 hours, comes in a pretty re-sealable jar and burns completely clean with no wasted wax. These candles are really pricey and sell at $25 a jar. The only time I buy them is when they are on sale, 2 for $25. Even though I adore the scent, I refuse to pay $25 for one candle.


My all time favourite candles are Sparta Candles. Like Kokimo Candles, Sparta Candles are Canadian made and can only be purchased online or in the Anything Used and Sparta Country Candles store in Sparta, Ontario. The scent pay off of these candles is phenomenal. What is even more phenomenal is that the 12 oz candles burn for at least 80 hours and are only $9.99!! Even better, once your 12 oz candle has burned out you can purchase a refill candle to go right back in the reusable jar for only $7.99. BUT, if you purchase 5 or more refill candles, they are only $5.99 each. That's $30.00 (plus applicable taxes) for 5 candles equalling 400 hours of burn time. Love it!! My favourite scents are Wildthing, Cinnamon Hearts, Peach Passion and Twisted Raspberry. Oh, and Blueberry Mountain and French Vanilla and Sunburst and Santa's Bake Shop. You know, I could list them all. These candles are beautiful and well worth the price. You will receive free shipping on all orders over $25.00. I believe that a standard shipping charge of $20.00 is added to all orders under $25.00. Honestly, you can't go wrong ordering online (if your order is over $25) and you certainly will not be sorry that you did so.

What candles do you love to burn?

xTx

Photo's courtesy of Bath and Body Works and Sparta Country Candles

No comments:

Post a Comment