Saturday, October 22, 2011

30-Something Skin

I have to admit, I wasn't looking forward to turning 30 this past July. I felt the same turning 30 as I did when I turned 20 - I was not exactly thrilled! The only difference was that on my 30th milestone I didn't streak my hair bright pink, HA!

Over the past couple of years I have noticed a change in my skin. In your thirties your skin begins to lose it's elasticity, it requires extra nourishment and a skin regime that you should stay devoted to, especially if you want to reduce the signs of ageing (how many times have you heard that before?). Keeping your skin hydrated can be a feat if you live in Canada like myself. It is so important at this time of year to be extra friendly to your skin with the dry air of Autumn and Winter. Of course this  means drinking lots of water, cleansing and moisturizing. Keep reading...

Numero Un: As I mentioned above, drink lots of water. Eight glasses a day. Bla bla bla. I'll be honest; I hate water and I hardly drink enough of it. During the day while I am at work I tend to grab more coffee and tea than I do water which isn't something that I am proud of. I also have an addiction to Ginger Ale. This water ordeal is such a huge downfall of mine so I have to practice what I preach! I won't say anything more than the fact that it is important to drink. Water hydrates. Spritz some lemon into that glass and drink your merry little heart out. Your skin will thank you.

Numero Deux: Don't scrub your face into an oblivion, cleanse it gently! If your face hurts after you cleanse you're clearly not doing something right - Just sayin'. Find a gentle cleanser that is best suited for your skin type and be sure to clean your face every night before bed. When I shower in the morning I splash water on my face but I don't cleanse it like I do before I go to sleep at night. There are a ton of cleansers on the market that are cheap and simple - You don't have to cleanse with anything expensive. I love L'Oreal 360 Clean cleansers. Not only does this line of cleansers come with an amazing "scrublet" that is a little piece of wonderful, but I find that they are simple. Although I don't have sensitive skin, I use the blue cleanser because it is unscented and light. It is soap-free so my skin doesn't dry out with use and honestly, the scrublet (which you can see in the picture on the right - it pops in and out of the front of the bottle) is a must-have. I wish that I could find these little scrublet's for sale somewhere because the one that I have is amazing.

If you want to try a simple DIY facial cleanser that will only cost you a few cents and seconds to make; try mixing 1.5 teaspoons of melted honey with 1 tablespoon of milk. Mix together and cleanse your face and neck. Rinse with warm water to remove. It is gentle, natural and will leave your skin feeling so lovely.

Numero trois: Exfoliate. I recently started using pür minerals Pur Polish Multi-Use Exfoliator which is amazing. For $23 CDN you receive 8fl oz. of product in a pump jar that can be used all over your body including your face. Exfoliating a couple times a week is important to keep your skin healthy and looking fresh and young. Only exfoliate at night so that your skin has time to settle before you expose it to the elements. Love, love, love this product!

As you can see, my gorgeous cousin Kelsey gives the Pur Polish a thumbs-up too ;)



Numero Quatre: Once you have cleansed or exfoliated at night, moisturize your face with a moisturizer that is right for you. I was using Elizabeth Grant's Caviar Night Creme (which is AMAZING!) but I have recently switched over to 100% pure Argan Oil from the ZINN Beauty Collection. After I cleanse, I blot dry and then allow my face to continue air drying for a couple of minutes. I apply the oil to my face and massage it in gently. It is not a heavy oil and it soaks in quickly, leaving my face feeling silky smooth, hydrated and healthy. Not only can Argan Oil be used on your face but it can be used on your entire body including your hair.
What is Argan Oil you ask? It is extracted from the kernal of the Argan tree which is native to Morocco. It's extremely rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids and is safe and effective for all skin types, proving to protect against issues like premature aging, acne, rosacea and sun damage. It does NOT have Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic Fragrances, Synthetic Dyes, Petrochemicals, Phthalates, GMO's and Triclosan.

Fun Fact about Argan Oil: Way, way back in the day, day, long before you and I were here, the Berber people (the indigenous peoples that inhabited North Africa, west of the Nile River) used to pick the Argan pits from the waste of their goats (the goats used to climb the Argan trees to eat the fruit). The pits were then ground and pressed to make the amazing oil that we now know today. Fortunately in today's time the pits are no longer pulled from goat waste :)

Numero Cinq: Moisturize. I highly suggest moisturizing with a moisturizer that has an SPF15 in it to help protect your skin from the sun during the day. No matter what time of year it is, you want to protect your skin from ultra violet rays. It is no secret that too much sun exposure causes pre-mature wrinkles which we all would like to avoid. Since I have been using the Aragan Oil at night I have found that I have not required a moisturizer in the morning - I just rinse, blot dry, prime and apply my make-up.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
I will be back to talk about moisturizers in another blog post - They deserve their own :)
Quick Tip: Never use the same hand towel that you use to dry your hands to dry your face. Keep a roll of paper towel in your bathroom to use on your face. This way you use the paper towel once and can throw it away, completely avoid the possibility of germs getting onto your face.

Skin care may seem complicated but it's really not once you are in a steady routine. Educate yourself and love your skin.
xTx

No comments:

Post a Comment