Monday, February 20, 2012

Chicken & Broccoli 1 Pot Meal

I stopped drinking soda's and juice on December 7th, 2011 and haven't looked back. This was a huge step for me given that most of the fluids that I used to take in on a daily basis were juices and ginger ale. Now I only drink water, herbal tea and coffee (normally one or two a day with milk). 

I started training with a Personal Trainer a few weeks ago and since doing so, we have been creating really great low fat recipes. If I told you that we didn't use anything white I would be lying because along with brown sugar we do use white sugar in our coffee and tea; but we don't use anything else that is "white".

Our staples consist of whole wheat pastas and rice which we only eat a couple times a week (that is as starchy as we get), rye bread, chicken, turkey, lean beef, a ton of veggies, fruits, regular mustard, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, sea salt and pepper.

Since my training began I have managed to drop 15lbs - Which I am very excited about!!

We eat a lot which is nice lol. We eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and snack in between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner, trying not to eat anything after dinner. Eating a low fat small meal or hearty snack every couple of hours helps to keep your metabolism up which in turn helps to burn more calories and fat. Trust me, I'm not a nutrition expert or Personal Trainer but I'm very fortunate to train with a woman who is a Registered Nurse and fitness guru. She is my amazing source of information regarding all things healthy.

Tonight we threw together a really good meal in a matter of about 20 minutes and we only used 1 pot. I would say that this pot of goodness made about 8 portions (maybe more) because we have a ton left over for lunches and probably dinner tomorrow. 

3 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts - Diced
2 Bunches (6 stems) of Broccoli (we always use extra broccoli because Baby Girl loves it so much)
1 Red Bell Pepper - diced
1 1/2 Cups of Sprouts
1/4 Cup Fat Free Italian Dressing
2 Cups Instant Brown Rice
2-3 Cups of Water
As much Garlic Powder or Fresh Garlic that you choose
1/4 Cup of Cashews (Clearly not low fat but optional)

Pour Italian Dressing and diced Chicken Breast into large pot and cook on medium-high until done.
Add Garlic Powder or freshly chopped Garlic, Water and boil on high.
Add the Brown Rice, Sprouts, Bell Pepper, Broccoli and optional Cashews.
Cook on medium-low with lid on until all water is absorbed.
Serve! (You could sprinkle on a bit of sea salt and pepper to taste if you'd like)

We had this meal with a Baby Spinach Salad topped with thinly sliced apples, mushrooms and a few rye croutons. As per normal, I made the dressing from olive oil, dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar. Delish!

I <3 1 pot meals!

I hope you all have a great week!

xTx


No comments:

Post a Comment