Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Healthy Mexican Fiesta Chicken Wraps

Tonight we had a little Mexican Fiesta. Chili spiced chicken, creamy guacamole, sauteed veggies and salsa. It was almost as spicy as a party during Cinco de Mayo in Detroit's Mexican Town. Well, not quite but the food was good. And healthy!

So sorry but I didn't take pictures so you will have to use your imagination for this recipe.

If you don't have all of the ingredients that I list, get creative and use what you have. I will give you some substitution ideas at the end of this post but in the meantime, I will list exactly what I used.

Ingredients:

3 Chicken Breasts Diced
4 Large Mushrooms Sliced
1 Red Pepper Diced
1 Green Baby Zucchini Sliced
5 Stems of long Green Onions
2 Avocados
3 Tablespoons of No Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
4 tablespoons (divided into two) of no fat Balsamic Vinaigrette
Garlic Powder (as much as you'd like)
Thyme or Basil (if you'd like)
Chili Powder (as much as you'd like)
Sea Salt and Pepper
Salsa (Mild El Paso is our fav)
Whole Wheat Tortilla's
Low Fat Mozzarella Cheese (optional)

Place 2 tablespoons of the dressing into pan with chicken, shake on some garlic powder (I use a lot), thyme or basil, a bit of pepper and cook thoroughly on medium-high with lid on to sweat all of the juices out. I can't stand juicy meat so I always over-cook the bird. I'm sure you know how to cook chicken, so do yo thang and cook it how you like. Just before it's done (I prefer golden brown edges) add the chili powder, a couple tablespoons of water, stir and cook until all of the water is gonzo.

In another pan, or pot, or wok, or whatever add the other 2 tablespoons of dressing and the red peppers. Cook on medium until they start to soften. Once the peppers are slightly soft, toss in the mushrooms and put a lid on the pan so that the juices from the mushrooms sweat out. Once they are close to being done, add the zucchini (lid still on), sweat them out and then add the green onions. Cook until veggies are soft.

While the Chicken and Veggies are cooking, de-pot (which is what I call it) the avocado's and place in a bowl. Mash them up with a fork and add in the plain Greek yogurt. Stir, stir, mash, mash. Sprinkle in a bit of sea salt and pepper and you're done.

Place a tortilla on a plate, add some guacamole for glue, chicken, veggies, salsa and a bit of cheese, wrap it up and eat!!

Healthy and soooooo Yummy!!

Substitutions:

If you don't have balsamic vinaigrette, use some Italian dressing or mix up some EVOO, a bit of vinegar and spices.

If you don't have any Greek yogurt, mix equal parts of no/low fat mayonnaise and no/low fat sour cream with your avocado. You could even dice up some tomatoes and sprinkle in some fresh lemon juice for a more authentic guacamole.

Cook up whatever veggies you have - Onions, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, eggplant, or even spinach!

No chicken in your freezer? Use beef or shrimp!

No tortilla's? Use pitas or flat bread!

I find that people tend to follow recipes the same way that they follow directions to an unknown destination. They often become afraid that if they fall of the recipe track that what they are cooking won't turn out. I can honestly say that getting lost in my recipe kitchen has always ended up in a delicious adventure. I personally think that I suck at baking because I have a really hard time following the directions of a recipe. I like to break the rules and improvise when I cook and unfortunately there is no improvisation in baking. Hence the reason that I am a terrible baker but a (self-proclaimed) amazing cook.

So get creative and fiesta, my lovelies!

xTx

No comments:

Post a Comment